Steingraeber factory pictures, bridge agraffes & adjustable vertical hitchpins

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue May 2 22:37:26 MDT 2006

Isn't it so that these agraffes favor the vertical plane oscillation of the
strings, keeping the force vectors acting from string to bridge (and
soundboard) and other way round in the direction that makes the transfer of
the acoustic wave the most efficient ?  So, in a way, the driving force,
being something close to average vertical to the board it is driving, will
drive it better, which will have the same effect as if the board was more
free, no ?

I would expect that the designer adapting such agraffes on a traditional
piano would have to tweak the impedance matching between strings and board
assembly, I mean not only because of the extra mass of the agraffes on the
bridge, but also because of that more efficient transfer of the wave.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.