Ethics question

PJR pryan2 at the-beach.net
Wed May 3 18:34:53 MDT 2006

I was asked to evaluate the condition of a used piano for a customer
(buyer)  for a nominal fee.  It was a private sale.  When I went to see
the piano, it was one that I had been wanting for some time.  *I* wanted
to buy it from the seller.  Question: How, when and/or what must I do,
ethically, to buy it  from the seller seeing that now I had a fiduciary
relationship with the customer who paid my fee?

What actually happened:

I wrote a positive report of the piano and recommended the buyer offer
several hundred dollars below the asking price.  She did so, but, the
seller rejected her offer.  The buyer  left the deal and bought another
piano elsewhere.  When I heard she bought another piano, without telling
her,  I offered the original seller his price and bought the piano.  Did
I do wrong?  Should I have asked her permission?  Should I tell her now,
especially since she plans to  hire me to tune her new piano?  I have a
queasy feeling about the deal. Should I?    It could be a future,
awkward situation.

Phil Ryan
Miami Beach