Ethics question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 4 03:45:30 MDT 2006

I think part of what's might be missing in this discussion is the fact that the customer could have countered the piano owner's bid rejection with a higher offer.

I do a fair number of pre-purchase piano inspections. However, one thing I have always avoided is recommending what to offer. In all honesty that has been my policy not because I am so wise, but rather because I'm just no good at bargaining (I would pay the asking price for a Mexican rug to a street vendor in Guadalajara).

I will detail my opinion of the piano's condition, I will provide input on the piano's suitability for the intended use, and I will give the client several value ranges - such as what a dealer might sell it for, wholesale value, and high and low range for a private sale. I will then explain to them that depending on how anxious they are to get the piano and how comfortable they are with price dickering should likely should influence what they ultimately offer.

That way the ultimate offer is up to them - any risk of the owner being insulted with a too-low offer is (mostly) their doing. This has worked well for me.

Terry Farrell