Ethics question

timothy ehlen tehlen at uiuc.edu
Wed May 3 22:39:00 MDT 2006

Phil,

May I suggest what I might do at this point: contact your
customer, explain exactly what happened, and offer to
purchase the piano he/she bought for the same price he/she
paid; in addition, offer in turn to sell the piano that you
bought to your customer for the price that you paid, the
asking price.  I would explain that you assumed that their
offer of a few hundred below the asking price would be
accepted, as it often is in transactions such as this.
Naturally, after the customer had already bought another
piano, you didn't see any harm in buying it yourself.  But
after thinking about it, you realize that it's best to make
this offer up front to your customer.

If the customer doesn't accept your proposal, then he
probably has the piano he wants; regardless, you can know
that you did all you can to make the matter right, ethically
speaking.  I would guess that your reputation would grow
after sharing your current concerns with your customer,
regardless of what he decides to do.

If you don't like this idea, I suppose you could still tell
your customer what happened and offer to refund the money
that you accepted to evaluate the piano.  Or, you could try
this first and play it by ear, and determine if your
customer harbors any bad feelings about the whole thing.
Regardless, I think, for myself, I wouldn't feel so good
keeping silent about it, based on what I understand in your
email.  It probably would have been best to tell the
customer at the time of your appraisal that you would
purchase the piano if he didn't, but of course hindsight is
20/20.  My impression is that you really weren't trying to
do anything underhanded--it's just that, considering the way
things turned out, it could be perceived that way by the
customer.

Tim