Huh?? was RE: pRCT got ears again...

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Thu May 4 07:10:36 MDT 2006

According to Owen Jorgensen's book on Tuning, a 4:2 octave will yield
contiguous 4ths and 5ths that beat the same. E.g., a just 4:2 A3-A4 octave
will yield an A3-D4 that beats the same as D4-A4. This is why we often tune
octaves in that area slightly larger than a 4:2. It makes the 5ths beat
slower, makes the octave-5th less narrow, and generally balances out the
piano better, IMO.

Obviously, you should make the octave only as large as will suit the piano,
so great care is needed in listening to determine optimum tempering of the
piano. It also depends on what you value more in your tuning. If you like
pure double octaves, you'd begin with a 4:2 octave for A3-A4. But if you
like a purer octave-5th, you'd use a slightly larger octave, which causes
double octaves to beat very slightly, but lessens the beating of the
octave-5th. I like to make the double octaves beat the same as the
octave-5ths, so I begin with an A3-A4 octave that is between a 4:2 and a
6:3. The double octaves and octave-5ths (12ths and 15ths) usually don't beat
more than 1/2 bps, unless it's a poorly-scaled piano.

John Formsma