Ethics question

John Delmore jodel at kairos.net
Thu May 4 10:09:48 MDT 2006

Hi Phil:
The fact that you're uneasy with this situation speaks well of your
character.  It also answers your question:  Yes, it was wrong.  At least,
that's how I would feel if I were your buyer.  There may be extenuating
circumstances that you haven't told us.is there some factor that would make
this piano worth more to you than to a "normal" buyer?  The last one I
bought wasn't worth the price of hauling to the dump to anyone but me.  If
that's the case, you may be in the right, but it's still going to smell like
three-day-old fish or houseguests to anyone who gets wind of it.  As someone
else said, what's your reputation worth?  With that wonderful 20/20
hindsight, it's easy to say that you should have been upfront with the lady,
told her that you were also interested, and that you were advising her to
"lowball" the seller to try to get a better deal-but that you thought it was
worth the asking price.

What should you do now?  The deed is done.  If she ever asks, come clean.
If not, just let that sleeping dog lie.  There's no reason to make her feel
bad in her present situation to assuage your feelings of guilt.  But you
have learned the lesson.  And, as a "newbie", so have I, without having to
experience it personally-and for that, I thank you.
John

  _____