Ethics question

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu May 4 11:23:56 MDT 2006

John writes:
<<
What should you do now?  The deed is done.  If she ever asks, come clean.
If not, just let that sleeping dog lie. <<

        I must disagree.  This is where skeletons in the closet come from.
It is possible that she will find out about this and say nothing to you, but
plenty to others.

>>There's no reason to make her feel
bad in her present situation to assuage your feelings of guilt.  But you
have learned the lesson.  And, as a "newbie", so have I, without having to
experience it personally-and for that, I thank you. >>

      Ah,  30 years ago, I may have had the same idea, but not now.  You
can't un-ring a bell, and it is next to impossible to erase a blot on your name,
which is what you will have if she finds out first.  If you let it ride, this
is going to hang in your conscience for a long, long, time.
       The piano hasn't been made that is worth allowing the public to
believe that one is a shyster, warranted or not.  I suggest that you tell the
customer that you may have made an ethical mistake, offer to swap the piano for the
one that she ultimately got, refund any monetary difference, pay the moving,
and apologize.  I don't know of any other way to guarantee your reputation.
    Ultimately, our reputation is the only employment security we have.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT