Question About Setting Octaves in the High Treble

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu May 4 18:17:38 MDT 2006

As you approach the last octaves, you can listen to 5ths (4ths, too, if you want) and to the 4:1 double octave directly. Example of one technique: Tuning C7 you can hold down C5 silently and play C7 a little forcefully, listening for zero beats at the C7 fundamental.

In the last octave, 2:1 often works best. The 10th-17th would be the test ... if you could hear it, which, as you say, you can't. So play or ghost the lower note of the octave and listen for zero beats at the pitch of the top note. You may not actually "hear" beats but there is a "sweet spot" that you can learn to hear. All of this, of course, assuming that the top octaves aren't junky with false beats, no clear fundamental (you'd need Tunelab or a spectrum analyzer to see, visually, what this looks like--multiple spikes instead of one, clear 1st partial), excessive hammer noise, etc.

Many times, plucking the string with a fingernail makes it easier to hear than striking it with the hammer.

Though you say you have trouble hearing 17ths, don't give up on practicing to hear them you will get better at it. For one thing, at high bps you really can't "hear the beat rate" as you put it, but you can perceive faster and slower--almost like you are "feeling" the beats. So don't neglect  your fast-beating tests, i.e., running 17ths.

When I was first learning, I thought the bass was easy but that I would never "get" the treble. Now, I can fairly breeze through the treble but often fuss with the bass, especially in clunkers. Go figure.

It'll come, it'll come ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri