Qwestion about lost motion tests

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu May 4 18:31:30 MDT 2006

Just a small nit to pick. You described a "smooth topped plastic jack (such as Kawai or Yamaha)", but at least in the Kawai, it is NOT smooth. They found that a little bumpiness on top makes the jack work better. Don Mannino can explain better than I.

Another HUGE factor, especially in older pianos, is sluggish return of jacks or hammer butts, i.e. pinning problems, dirt, worn bushings, springs broken or weak or out-of-place, etc.

Yet another, potentially huge factor is aftertouch. I've seen older pianos with so much dirt, slut's wool, mouse nesting and other crud under the keys that they just won't allow the action to fully cycle. In fact, in a really out of reg old beater, when all else fails and you are going nuts trying to get a jack to reset without have a quarter-inch of lost motion, try removing a front rail punching or two and watch the magic (sometimes). Please do not do this on a Steinway D just before the concert: but on Granny's old Cable upright, have at it.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri