Question About Setting Octaves in the High Treble

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu May 4 18:22:03 MDT 2006

Greetings,

         In the upper two octaves you can check if the 5ths are alittle less
than clean. This always helps me. I tune the top octave by checking 5ths and
playing arpeggios.

Julia Gottshall
Reading. PA

In a message dated 5/4/2006 7:47:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, rfinley at rcn.com
writes:
I am learning to tune the piano by ear and have a question about tuning
octaves in the high treble and performing the tests on them. Lower down the piano
and for an octave or two above the temperament octave I use a 3rd-10th test to
check whether the beat rate of the 10th is the same as or slightly faster than
the 3rd, to provide an octave that is correctly stretched. When I go higher
in pitch I use a 3rd-17th test so that I can still hear the beats and do the
comparison. The problem I am having is that when I go still higher, say in the
final octave, I can hear the beats of the third but I can't hear the beats of
the 17th, or any ripple at all. I can't therefore compare the two beats rates
and check the octave. The higher note also dies away quicker so it makes it
even more difficult. Is there any special technique I should use to be able to
hear the beat rate of the 17th so that I can check the higher octaves? Thank you
very much for your help.

Robert Finley