Jack popped out

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu May 4 23:19:54 MDT 2006

Julia,
    This can happen in a vertical action due to one or more regulation  problems.My guess is that the hammer is being caught about  an inch from the string.
    The quick and easy test is to adjust checking closer to the string. Shortening the checking changes the angle of the butt when caught and allows the jack move freely until the key stroke ends.    Don't forget the other regulation specs.Key dip ,blow and  letoff --THEN adjust backchecks.
    Also, too tight bridles can bind the jack .Some  Baldwins have a design that can allow the tab on the strap to slide down the bridle wire and lock the whippen and butt assemblies together.
    Tom Driscoll RPT
    P.S.
    Actions with an adjustable rail to limit movement of the jack away from the butt eliminate this problem and improve repetition by keeping the top of the jack closer to "home"