Thanks Roger

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Fri May 5 08:48:37 MDT 2006

In a message dated 5/4/2006 6:46:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
roger.j at sasktel.net writes:
Some of the lesser quality consoles seem to need the weight of both the
hammer butt assembly and wippen to get the key back to rest.
Ideally, the butt and the wippen are separated by the lost motion at rest; so
when the key is released slowly, the weight of the back of the key plus the
weight of the wippen alone, falling away from the butt that last teeny bit,
needs to be greater than the front of the key in order to get the jack to reset.
In some consoles, this is too close to neutral, so if the wippen flange is
tight, resetting is unreliable. IF everything else is right, it is okay to weight
the backs of the keys slightly. Funny story....

I had a client with a key that wouldn't reset on his console. He was a
retired Highway Patrolman, so he just glued a .38 slug to the back of the key. I
pulled the action, & checked everything out including the wip center. Everything
was fine. I noticed I could wiggle all the other notes by lifting the
backchecks 1/16" and they would reset when released slowly. Then I saw that on the
offending note, the back of that key had been originally sawn skinnier than the
others, making it light enough at the back that the weight of the wip + the
weight of the back of the key was not enough to counterbalance the front of the
key. I just left his slug on and tuned the piano. For once, the obvious
solution was correct !

Bob Davis