Ivories on an old Kimball Grand

Samuel Choy sam at scpianoservice.com
Fri May 5 07:17:45 MDT 2006

Hello,

As I explained before, for learning experience and hopefully to resell, I am refurbishing an old WW Kimball Grand, made around the 30's. The key tops have the original elephant ivory. However, 20 of them have ugly cracks and some are yellowing. I tried ordering some used ivory tops from Schaff, but they not have any in stock. I've seen some on sale on eBay, for a log more than was printed in the Schaff catalogue.

Do you recommend looking for replacement ivory or would you recommend replacing them with acrylic or ivorine tops?

Thanks.

Sam Choy