RH problem

Christopher Thomas cthomas at RTKL.com
Fri May 5 10:38:57 MDT 2006

Responding as an architect, I asked a senior technical architect in our
office for his thoughts. He agrees with Mr. Farrell. The building
envelop needs a vapor barrier. If it is a hot humid climate, the barrier
should go to the outside. If it is a cold dry climate, like here, it
should go towards the inside.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 10:58 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: RH problem

My best guess is that the ceiling and upper walls are poorly insulated.
These are outside walls? The dew point for 40% RH and 72 degrees F is 46
degrees. So if it was 36 degrees F outside and the walls were around 40
degrees F or so, condensation will occur on the walls.

I thought Europeans used the Celsius scale for temperature.

Terry Farrell