Hearing Loss and Piano Tuning

DIANE HOFSTETTER dianepianotuner at msn.com
Fri May 5 11:53:49 MDT 2006

>From: "Robert Finley" <rfinley at rcn.com>

>I have been wondering whether musicians could also suffer hearing loss and
>what the difference is >between tuning a piano (where the notes are played
>loudly to set the strings) and playing  music t>hat has loud passages in it
>such as a Liszt's Transcendental Etude 'Mazeppa" or Rachmaninoff's >Prelude
>in G minor Opus 23  and practising pieces like that for several hours a
>day.

According to one study:

90% of musicians exhibit the initial stages of a hearing loss.
52% of classical musicians have a permanent hearing loss
30% of rock/pop musicians also possess an irreversible hearing loss

The official theory as to why classical musicians tend to suffer from
hearing loss more than rock musicians is amount of exposure; rock musicians
tend to listen on weekends and classical musicians practice, teach and have
rehersals throughout the week.  ( The IPods will probably change all that.)

Savy orchestras are starting to wear earplugs!

Diane