Ethics Question, a recent example

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri May 5 12:18:14 MDT 2006

Terry  said: "Again, I agree with you. In this case, if the rebuilder adheres to good ethical standards, when the rebuilt piano is delivered, s/he will tell the piano owner something like "I know you've had Fredrika service your piano in the past and I'm sure s/he will continue to do a fine job for you". If the piano owner prefers to have the rebuilder service the piano, well that's just the way things go, but IMHO, the rebuilder should at least open the door for the original technician to resume servicing the piano. If the rebuilder doesn't do that, I would then have the question of what other shady practices does this rebuilder engage in?"

Terry,
I  don't know  about  other  rebuilders, but for  me, I insist  on doing the initial in-home  tuning, so that I can make  sure there are  no problems, etc. (If the client is a long distance away, I have a conversation with the client's  technician, in  regards to any anomolies and let that tech take  care  of the initial in-home tuning.) At  the conclusion of  that  tuning/tweaking, I  try to get the owner to resume with their regular  technician. It's the right thing to do.  If  it's my client, then I  have pre-billed for  four tunings  the first year  and, in  that way, I make  sure that the piano is settling  in properly and there are no problems.  At the end of that year, there is a  "voicing"  session.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I