RH problem

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri May 5 13:15:42 MDT 2006

Not trying to be argumentative, but a vapor barrier will not solve this
problem. The condensation is from water vapor in the air inside the room. If
the room is at 40% RH and 72 degrees, it has a certain amount of water vapor
in the air - whether more vapor is coming into the room and being removed by
a dehumidifier or whether the room is vapor-sealed and at 40% RH with no
humidifier or dehumidifier operating. When air under those conditions is
chilled to 46 degrees, condensation form - no need for additional vapor to
enter the room. Presumably it is insulation you need - not a vapor barrier.

However, a vapor barrier is likely always a good thing to have - will help
keep your room conditions constant and minimize the work a climate-control
system has to do with humidity - but the specific problem here is
insulation.

Or a warmer climate. Just wait a few years. Unless of course the Gulf Stream
stops.......

Terry Farrell