RH problem--- Dampp-Chaser humidistat will NOT run a room dehumidifier!

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 17:54:37 MDT 2006

   Someone here said it would, and that's not true.
The DC humidistat has a 200 Watt limit. You could, of
course, run it to a relay which then turned the
dehumidifier on and off. ( see "Grainger Industrial
Supply" ) This became of interest after a stuck-on
Kenmore dehumidifier damaged a very clean, well-made
Bjur grand that I had just purchased! Dried it out
quite badly. I was also interested in this for better
accuracy in humidity control.
     Well, I just took the humidistat from the Kenmore
dehumidifier out, and the problem was immediately
apparent: the hydroscopic nylon strip which grows and
shrinks with humidity changes is supposed to be in a
loop, with the ends glued together. It pulls on a
switch which turns tthe compressor on and off. The
ends came unglued, so it stayed "on" all the time. I
just emailed the maker (DNA Group in N.C. ) and asked
them for a new switch. I also asked them to pay for
the piano.
( Please wish me luck! )