Hearing Loss and Piano Tuning

Simone Tucci Piano Tuner-Technician tuccisimone at rogers.com
Fri May 5 14:35:29 MDT 2006

Hi List:

A while back I had Marshall Chasin who is a leading audiologist here in
Canada do a presentation about piano tuning and hearing protection. It was
very interesting to see what the results were. One of the demonstrations was
a measurement of the db level in a C7 holding the meter at ear level in a
piano tuners position at the piano playing at a forte blow. The results were
stunning....way over 95db. So, think about subjecting yourself to years of
piano tuning, tuning pure frequencies over a large frequencies
range....there is going to be some damage to hearing.

Marshall authored a book called "Hear The Music" Hearing Loss Prevention For
Musicians. I own a copy of this book and found it to be very educational. I
highly recommended to anyone and everyone involved in the music industry.

I myself have been using ER-15 plugs for a number of years and I have no
problem hearing what I need to hear. As a matter of fact using the plugs
makes tuning much easier for me, allowing background noise to be filtered
out. The ER-15/25 follows the natural hearing response curve that the open
ear does. Therefore allowing you to hear accurately throughout the ear's
frequencies range. I believe that musicians/piano tuners (tuning only)
should only be using this type of plug.

-simone

SIMONE TUCCI
Piano Tuner-Technician