Steingraeber factory pictures,bridge agraffes & adjustable vertical hitchpins

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat May 6 03:30:01 MDT 2006

Hi Robert

Wanted to get back to you with a few observations.

Weinreich measured things in a real piano with the standard bridge pin
arrangement.  I dont think it can be said that he isolated  string
behaviour such that he could confirm one way or the other the question
of whether a string will vibrate longer if kept vibrating in the
direction of excitement or not.  In fact there are several bits that
naturally enough probably have never been really looked at all all along
these lines.

For example, one of the main points made in Weinreichs contribution is
that the reason for the strings transition from vertical to horizontal
direction is the impedance of the soundboard in both these directions...
which is of course higher in the sideways direction... but far from
absolute. (He ends his segement on vertical and horizontal vibration
with an interesting comment about soundboard behaviour btw.)
Anyways...  there are a couple things worth thinking about here.  If its
the soundboard itself that is responsible, then the string still has to
be adequately coupled to both directions of soundboard vibration for
there to be a transition. Perhaps this is impossible to avoid if its
coupled at all, I dont know and I dont think this has been actually
checked out.  A lot of what seems obvious is taken for granted in this
kind of thing... but you never know until you look.  It seems
counter-intuitive to me however that there is no particular coupling of
string to soundboard that can result in any different relative strength
of coupling to either direction of soundboard vibration then any other
type of coupling.  Could be I suppose... but then again... I dont think
anyone has really every bothered to check this out. If coupling can play
a role on the other hand, then the bridge termination becomes a tool
with which to design in loudness and sustain characteristics along with
other known parameters for this.  This fits in with both claims from
Wapin and Stuart.

Cheers
RicB