Short Capstan

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat May 6 08:29:45 MDT 2006

On the last couple damper tray retrofits I  did, I recessed the damper tray
so that the heads could be turned in almost  flush & below the level of the
underlever/tray platform.   It  takes two minutes on the table saw to do that.  I
also added a thin strip-  0 -wood on the bottom of the tray for a bit more
thread area to bite in  to.  In the end I had about 2.5 mm of the pointed end of
the thread column  sticking thru the bottom of the wood & I just ground it
off with a belt  sander......zip  No problem.
    The smaller version from Schaff  are fine but they are far more time
consuming  but workable.  I have a  set. $11 dollars list. I preferred the beauty
of simply turning the longer  ones into wood than I did pressing the short
ones in while trying to keep them  straight & all. It's such a cinch to turn in
the whole set with power  tools in about 10 minutes max.
   The shorter had the square  wrench head which wasn't as convenient as a
standard hex head Pianoforte  supplied capstan head.
  If you'd like to try the short ones they're  yours.
  Just my 2 cents  worth.
  Dale

Waste of good labor, mine.

David  Love