Question from a rank amatuer

Christopher Thomas cthomas at RTKL.com
Sat May 6 14:10:44 MDT 2006

I am not a piano technician by profession or training. For reasons I will describe presently, I have been a member of your group for a short while, and have been very impressed by what I have read.

I am an architect who - for reasons of trying to keep his sanity after hours - has been restoring a 1910 Brambach piano. I have read Arthur Reblitz's book cover to cover several times now, Piano Action repairs and maintenance by K.T. Kennedy, and any number of tretise that is posted on-line (such as Bill Spurlock's "Regulating Tips").

I am writing this with some trepidation. I certainly hate amatuers' forrays into my field - especially ones who have read books prepared for amatuers such as the ones I have listed above. As I said earlier, I have been greatly impressed by the ongoing discussions of this group, because the range of the art, technical and professional subjects in many ways mirrors my own (I have particularly enjoyed the thread on ethics over the past few days as it shows a very high degree of professionalism within the world of piano technicians.

So, in reading all of these exchanges over the past few days, one has particularly mistified me, and it relates to the work I am about to do on the Brambach. In the general discussion on lost motion what I do not get, is that my understanding is that the capstan should adjust the height of the hammer at rest and should therefore be always engaged on the lever heel of the wippen. Yet, I have read - as a part of the lost motion thread - the notion that every force and movement on the key should have show on the hammer. So my question is, if the capstan is always engaged with the heel, then there could never be lost motion except if the punchings below the keys were compressing. I am trying to think all this through as I am about to install a new set of hammers (you may think I am brave as an amatuer, but if you paid for this piano what I did, it is a cheap thrill), and after that will go through the whole regulating regemine...

 You are all welcome to poke fun at me, and I promise, once I get this done to always hire a professional in the future.