Question from a rank amatuer

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat May 6 14:12:52 MDT 2006

Lost motion relates to uprights only where you don't want the jack actually
resting against the hammer butt leather.  The lost motion refers to that
small gap that allows the jack to return to rest position.  On a grand the
repetition lever takes care maintaining that distance between the top of the
jack and the knuckle so regulating for lost motion is not required.  On a
grand, however, you do have to regulate the balancier height to insure that
the jack is not dragging on it so that it can still return under the knuckle
easily.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net