Brambach Regulation

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun May 7 13:03:34 MDT 2006

Andrew,
On  the Kimball  type knuckle and the Brambach the jack center must be in
line with the "knuckle  line", (built into  the  shank as  one  piece  of
wood).
On  all  others  with  the "standard" knuckle  the  back of  the  jack must
be in line  with  the back edge of  the knuckle core  wood. Two different
animals.<G>  I  can verify  this  with  the  Kimball Service  manual ,
(circa 1940's),  that  I  have.
While  "fiddling"  with the  jack  postition,  you  have  it  backwards,
(either that,  or I explained  it backwards).  The line of  the  vertical
wood core on a  standard  knuckle is to  the  rear  of  the piano. So  is
the  line  of  the built in knuckle. The  difference  is  that  the built
in  knuckle,  vertical line HAS to align with the CENTER  of the jack,
whereas  the core of  a  standard has  to  align with  the vertical  back
of  the  jack. Clear as  mud,  I know....but,  when you regulate one of
those pianos with the built in knuckle, it will  become apparent in the
difference.<G>

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I