Loss and Piano Tuning ( was: hearing etc.)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun May 7 13:10:22 MDT 2006

Robert writes:
<< Thanks a lot for your comments Andrew. I will defintely look into getting
ear plugs. Not only do I want to prevent any damage to my ears as a result of
tuning pianos, but I don't want my hearing to be degraded as a musician either
since I play piano recitals and attend lots of concerts.  >>

Greetings,
       It is interesting that we, as tuner/techs, worry so much about our
hearing.  I don't think I have ever met someone that had to leave the business
because of hearing problems.

HOWEVER !,  I have spoken to numerous techs and former techs that had to
leave the tuning and rebuilding business because of joint problems, repetitive
stress problems, tendonitis, carpal tunnel problems, etc.  and I have heard very,
very, little about protecting against these things.
     Worry about our hearing is misplaced if we ignore the mechanical dangers
of our work.  I would suggest that a better expense than custom ear plugs
would be a yoga course, or a physical trainer or therapist that could diagnose
our posture, ergonomic habits, and flexibility capacity.  That is where the more
likely danger will be addressed.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT