Piano gets its revenge...

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sun May 7 18:20:57 MDT 2006

 I've got this great customer who bought a brand now Mason and Hamlin 50 inch upright at my suggestion.  She gets her piano tuned every 6 months like clockwork.  When I tuned it back in November, the tuning hammer slipped out of my hand and the head put a big ding in the fallboard.....:-{.  Bummer.  I ponied up the cash to have a real refinisher go out and make it right.

Friday, I went back to tune the piano again.   Fortunately, it's getting more stable, and it didn't need a pitch raise.  I'm tuning along, thinking how great it is to be ahead of schedule, when pop goes the weasel.  String #34, A2 lower unison, broke right at the becket!  So much for being ahead of schedule...

Mason and Hamlin is sending me a new string.  In the meantime, I tied a knot, which would be a perfectly good repair in an older piano.   But since the piano is less than a year old, the string really needs to be replaced.

So I was thinking as I left...do pianos have poltergeists in them?  Sometimes I think they must.  I swear, there are some pianos that don't seem to like me--and I reciprocate the feeling.

Any other piano-gets-revenge stories?

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560