Loss and Piano Tuning ( was: hearing etc.)

Kenneth Jankura kenrpt at earthlink.net
Mon May 8 19:00:57 MDT 2006

Conrad,

Why don't you add a piece of elastic to your thumper so you don't
have to use any muscles to hold it.
It works for me. I've done the "Newton Hunt" style thumper for years
and it is fantastic.
My 'thumper' is 7//16" x 3/4", about 5" long, small piece of hammer
felt glued to the bottom end,
with a thumbtack on the top end holding both ends of a piece of thin
elastic about 10" long.
The loop of elastic goes around the back of your hand and back around
the wood.
It stays on your hand and you can do any checks you want.
I wear it on my left hand, and can play any music (I am able to play)
with it still attached to my hand.
I can check fifths, octaves, and tenths (i have big hands) with the
'thumper' attached.
I have the shaft long enough that you can still pound a acrosonic
that has the 'see the keys or see the hammers' type fallboard
(where I keep the fallboard 1/2 closed).
The reason the thumper shaft is is rectangular is so that it makes it
easy to rotate it in your hand to get a really great shot at the sharps.
I had made a cool one out of some rare tropical wood on my lathe and
then promptly lost it, so now it's a scrap piece of wood I'll never
lose.
On grands at the top end, I position it between my ring and pinky
finger, when I stand off to the right to get the top couple octaves.
Seems to work for me.
As for adding weight to the thumper, whatever for!!
Drop your relaxed arm straight down from 3" with 'thumper' attached
and that is probably the strongest  test blow you'll ever need.
Relaxed is the operative word.
I wish i could take a picture and send it, but I just ain't got the
chops.

BTW, I've been off the list for probably two years, just started
lurking again.
Life is good, I just got married (again), and I'm glad to be back.
All you guys rule, see you in Rochester.

Ken Jankura, RPT
Fayetteville. PA