finish stripper

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed May 10 09:56:40 MDT 2006

Indeed. I've used solvent based (methylene chloride) strippers for years
(mostly on boats). They can work well, but IMHO, only outside. But even
then, I don't enjoy the skin burns and you still end up inhaling bunches of
that stuff. And then the environmental thing.

I stripped a piano a couple months ago with the Dyna 2 and was very pleased
with the results. You need to leave it on overnight, but if you let it set
for an appropriate time, the finish pretty much just falls off with one
gentle putty-knife pass. I did end up doing two applications to get most of
the stain and to get the few spots where the stripper sagged and only had a
thin coating. Very little smell (soap-like). All-in-all I am very happy with
it and don't think that I will ever go back to solvent-based strippers.

Terry Farrell