Concert Tuning & Prep Sequence

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 10 13:47:04 MDT 2006

Rick,
If this piano hasn't been tuned in years you should plan on a multi
step plan to get it up to pitch.  Here is what works well for me:
	1: Do an overpull pitch correction pass with individual unisons
reasonably close to each other.
	2: Voice the rear string terminations and bearings.  You will be
surprise how many loose hitch pin loops and crooked string paths
you 	find going forward to the bridge.  Then tighten the curve
leading forward to the rear bridge pin.  Then tighten the curve
leading away from 	the front bridge pin.  (In the conjectured
possibility that a string has climbed up a bridge pin, it will be put
back down on the bridge 	without hammering necessary.) Most likely
you have pulled the old curve into the speaking length and pushing a
little way out into the 	speaking length will help to ease it and
reduce noise.  This will drop the pitch significantly (20-30 cents on
a D that was only 15 cents 	flat when I came to it.)
	2a: If you are getting lots of false beating after this in the
treble there may be loose bridge pins.  Some ultra-thin CA applied to
the 	base of each bridge pin in the treble sections will help a lot
and may push pitch up a little (why I can only conjecture).  Do this
before 	three if you think it is needed.
	3. Do another overpull pitch correction pass with good unisons.
	4. Lift and level all the strings in the agraffe section (don't
overdo this and groove the brass).  Tighten the curve leading to the
bearing on 	the front duplex.  Lift on the back side 	of the capo and
then on the front side.  Level any strings that don't end up level
after lifting
	5. Fine tune the piano, some unisons will have slipped with leveling.
This procedure is what I routinely do for a significant
pitch-correction on a grand piano.  It fills in most of the "wells"
of instability.  I then get into the action checking for bedding and
then regulate everything.  I usually lube the hammer knuckles with
micro-fine teflon.  Pianists really seem to notice and appreciate the
reduced friction at the knuckle.  Of-course there is the
psycho-acoustic affect going on too... ;-)  A little sugar coating on
the hammers, was that a C7? maybe more than a little...and you're
good to go.  Depending on how solid the piano is (pin-block, bridge,
board, beams and case squirming around under a few more tons of
tension than before) you will probably have only a fine-tuning to do
the next day.  Yamahas are usually quite solid.

Good luck, and do tell how it went.

Andrew Anderson