Slow key mystery ....

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Thu May 11 21:12:18 MDT 2006

Divot in wippen heel?
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John M. Formsma
  To: 'Pianotech List'
  Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:35 PM
  Subject: RE: Slow key mystery ....

  Did you check/replace the jack spring to see that might have been the problem? As Paul said, the wippen is another cause as well, and I'd use the lead, baby.unless by removing the action you can increase your paycheck. E.g., tightening action screws, hammer filing, in addition to checking the wippen flange friction. (Checking with the customer first, of course.)

  I think the reason the damper aids in key return is that the damper spring pushes on the wippen spoon. The problem has to be excess friction in the key or in the action. Or, the keystick truly needs some extra weight. I'd say the former rather than the latter.

  John Formsma