The pitch raise speech

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Fri May 12 14:42:32 MDT 2006

On reflection I believe that I encounter far more string breakage when
starting within -5 cents of pitch than I do from -50 cents or more, and
living in the northeast it is not uncommon for even better maintained
pianos to be flatter than 20 cents in the depth of winter. Plate failure
has been virtually unknown to me since I started tuning almost 30 years
ago, and considering how many basement pianos I've tuned with highly
suspect or already failed glue joints in the backs I have concluded that
virtually all plates are much stronger than necessary to support full
string tension at A-440.

Look carefully for evidence of past string breakage (tied strings,
"borrowed" coils, as well as missing or obviously replaced strings), and
DO protect yourself with warnings to owners of neglected instruments.
But having done that, pitch-raise away using overpull! If strings are
going to break I'd rather find out 5 minutes into a quick pitch-raise
than 45 minutes into a slow methodical one.

Also be wary of spinets where the extreme angle of the wire between the
tuning pin and the bearing bar causes the wire to cross its own coil on
the bottom row of tuning pins. These are almost guaranteed to break
eventually.

- Mark Dierauf