The pitch raise speech

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Fri May 12 12:35:13 MDT 2006

I always try to get the piano, to A440. If someone is taking lessons, we
don't want to have their ear mistrained.
Even ones that say A435 stencilled somewhere inside, will take the extra
tension with no problem.
Sometimes, strings do break, but I have always informed them, prior to
tuning, that there is a greater chance of string breakage.
I bring them up a semi-tone at a time, and on the older ones, never
overpull.
In the 30 years I have been doing this, only one piano wouldn't come up,
because strings broke. The funny thing is, they broke when I tried to
tune it to where it was, and they also broke when I tried to lower the
pitch.
Investigate how long it has been down in pitch, if it happened over a
short time period, suspect a separated pin block.
In fact any time you have to do a large pitch change, check all screws
to make sure they are tight. Check the back of the piano at the back of
the top, and make sure that the wood all lines up. An indication of the
separated pinblock, is unevenness, of the wood sections, or the plate
being uneven at the front, in relation to the folded back lid.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca