Dealers

pianowerks.inc at comcast.net pianowerks.inc at comcast.net
Fri May 12 17:28:35 MDT 2006

Ask a local guild member to accompany you to several local stores.

From: "deanslist" <deanslist at comcast.net>

How difficult is it to find a good dealer to refer a client to in order to purchase a new piano? I am asking this in the from the perspective of the person who would be making the purchase. What I mean is a pleasant purchase experience for the buyer, one where he or she doesn't feel the need to shower afterwards.

Here's the reason I am asking: I had a not so pleasant experience with a nameless dealer today at a traveling sale in a shopping mall. I know this is not the place to really buy a piano, but it is an opportunity entice people into the store, etc. For the heck of it, I asked to try one of the instruments (wouldn't be able to hear too much, but could evaluate touch). I was told "For a minute," in a much less than welcoming tone of voice. Why bother for just a minute? I have also been in this particular dealer's store a few times and been less than impressed with the lack of welcome there. Is this a common experience? Or is there a decent percentage of dealers that actually value the potential customer?

When I actually have someone ask me where to go, I'll be back to ask for specific recommendations. Thanks!

Sara Nash
Soon to be student tech