The pitch raise speech

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 23:17:12 MDT 2006

Hi Michelle,

The time you don't bother with "the speech" is the time a string will fail.
Better to prepare the client for this eventuality. Anything over 4 cents is
pitch correction land for domestic tuning.

If the owner declines to service the piano to A440 then I choose the first
note on the bass bridge (around c2) measure it, offset my tuning device to
that level--and pitch correct to that level.

I rarely encourage such clients to be regular customers.

At 11:36 AM 5/12/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>As a new tuner, I have read with much interest the non-emotional
>speech given to customers concerning the possible outcomes of a pitch
>raise.  (Plate failure, string breakage, etc.)
>
>Is there a certain point (cents-wise) that you give this speech or is
>it based more on the condition/age of the instrument?
>
>Also, I'm assuming the customer's answer is usually in favor of the
>pitch raise.  What do you do when they don't want to risk it?  Go
>home or tune the piano to itself?
>
>Thanks for sharing your experiences.
>
>Michelle Smith

Regards,