The pitch raise speech

Robin Blankenship tunerdude at comcast.net
Fri May 12 12:01:41 MDT 2006

Michelle,

You have asked a wonderful question in that it leans into a whole universe
of understanding about what piano techs do and how we do it.

Whenever I first see a new piano, I start opening all sense to input from
it. What visual clues as to its condition and life. Things like rust, of
course, but also heavily worn hammers, corners of veneer knocked off, a
pedal sagging or laying down entirely. Then, there's smell. Does the inside
have an odor of decaying or even smoldering wood?? Or, perhaps the essence
of long departed rodent guests.

What does the owner know about the history of the instrument? What do they
expect of it for their own use? What kind of music will they be playing on
it.

And, as much more in the way of helpful input as you can collect in a brief
period of time. Then, you bring your own musical and personal experience to
the table and start doing all the "if's", "and's" and "but's" and "on the
other hand's" as you need to do to reach a conclusion that feels reasonable
and that you can explain to the customer.

Run your hands over the piano, inside and out and notice things like surface
grime, sogginess or dryness of the wood, etc.

And, of course, after every new piano encounter, do some reflecting on what
happened and why. Add that to your knowledge banks and after a while you'll
feel like you have a fairly reliable sense of what to expect with a given
instrument. Thus, you'll know what to share with the customer and how to
perhaps help guide their decisions on what best to do for it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Robin Blankenship