DC unit abuse

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Mon May 15 11:41:57 MDT 2006

 A concert I participated in as clarinetist last week
could not use a piano that had been "rebuilt" "fully
reconditioned", "repaired" depending who in the
institution I spoke with. It had been tuned a couple
weeks preciously. A Samik grand. The instrument was
completely unusable by any stretch.

  Although it was indeed at A440, 5ths, octaves were
wild, many unisions 5-6 cent spread. Dampers were
sticking. We abandoned it.

  The "qualified"technician, on account of sticking
dampers had placed a DC heat rod loosely resting on
the plate above the dampers instructing them to leave
it on full time. When asked how long it had been in,
they were not sure excpt to say a very long time, so
I presume it cooked through much of our dry Canadian
winter. No controller, full time heat year round
directly over the dampers.

   I told the director they were destroying the piano
by leaving a heat rod inside on full time. Cooking the
piano is not a solution to poor adjustments, poor
fittings of bushings.

  Since there is a team of directors, a board, many
contacts, and as it is  my word against the other
"qualified" technician; I am fishing for a
statements from the list regarding how this
is unacceptable for the piano, misuse of DC
technology, and is causing more problems then
solutions.

   The "qualified" technician shall remain anonymous,
but I will be sending the comments to him as well.
This individual has demonstrated in the past that they
are slow to listen to reason, thus I hope a
multitude of statements will sway them from continuing
to damage pianos this way.

   Perhaps I will learn that I am out of line here.
If so, I had better hear it, but it would really truly
surprise me if this use of a DC unit was
acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. I have
seen major serious damage done to clients pianos from
DC heat bars on full time with no controller. Serious
major soundboard cracking on a brand new piano.

  A statement from any DC distributor would be nice.

  I feel bad for the client, and bad for any other
victims of such abuse, and wish to help stop this
from happening again in my city.

                                Grrrrr
                                Dave Renaud