online pitch source

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Mon May 15 14:39:56 MDT 2006

This program, like all the others, generates sound based on the computer's
internal sound chip, which can be inaccurate. The only way to make it
accurate is to calibrate to a known external source such as NIST, using a
calibration system like that in Tunelab.

Question for Bob Scott: WHen Tunelab calibrates, does it make a registry
change that will then apply to other sound-generating applications? In other
words, can you use Tunelab to calibrate a laptop and then use a different
app (e.g. NCH Tone Generator) on that laptop and trust that it is now
accurate?