online pitch source (precision of your A440 reference ?)

Philippe Errembault phil.errembault at skynet.be
Tue May 16 11:03:04 MDT 2006

This makes me wonder... Do you usually have an idea of the precision of the
A440 reference you
use ? I mean... I didn't get any the precision information with my tuning
fork, I found it on the net.
I wonder what are the precisions of professional ETDs, and what precision we
can expect from a
pocket PC, about which I wonder if it even can be as precise as a normal
PC...

In fact, I have one reason to think it could even be better : since this
material is intended to be as small
as possible, it might be that they only contain ONE reference clock, for
time, for CPU and for sound
processing. Then, we could expect the sound precision to be as precise as
their time clock... did any
of you ever tried to check his pocket PC, against a good A440 reference, and
compare the error with
the time drift ? (and by the way, compare it with a desktop PC)
Reminder : 0.1cent = ~0.0058% = ~5sec/day

Philippe Errembault

Ps : I know the buffering of cell phone is small, but this doesn't change
the fact that any shift in it's clock
should be retrieved in the output ! this would lead to an interresting
experiment :
take two cell phone, call the same tone reference and see if there is any
beat between them...
I would be curious about the result !