Sticking Damper in Young Chang GS-150

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Tue May 16 15:38:49 MDT 2006

In answer to your basic question. Yes, you'll probably have to take
out the action to "fix" it.

How old is the piano? Young Chang (Samick) used to have a plating
problem with their center pins
which caused them to seize up. Damper underlevers included. If that's
the case, take out the action
and the underlever and repin it. That's the only real fix. But if you
have one, you'll probably have
a lot more as time goes on!

Otherwise, it could be hanging up on the sostenuto tab or be tight in
the damper guide rail bushing.
My guess would be the underlever, though.

Avery Todd
University of Houston