GB-1 Second Report

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Tue May 16 16:21:33 MDT 2006

We discussed the new Yamahahaha GB-1 a while back. This is the piano that is basically a GA-1 but with 6 bichords north of the break instead of funky, low tension, heavy plain wire trichords.

I said I'd report on the second tuning.

This is a much better piano than the GA-1 (I tune both in my travels). For it's size and class, it's a decent enough little grand.

I did NOT find the wild instability in the low tenor that the GA-1 tends to get. In fact, the bass and the tenor bichords held up very well.

I'm finding pianos sharp the last couple of weeks which, I assume, is because we've had a sloppy wet spring. The middle of the piano was about 10 cents sharp and the lower treble was 4 or 5 cents flate, high treble close to pitch, bass nearly dead-on.

This is a second "Yamaha Service Bond" tuning and I first tuned this right-out-of-the-box-new piano three months ago.

This is my report. That is all...

We now return you to your regular, hum-drum* lives.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

*Bongos with a kazoo attachment?