Router Table Modifications

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed May 17 16:35:48 MDT 2006

Terry,

I also built an extension wing table fitted to my table saw.  And, I too
will likely go to a larger, dedicated table soon.  MDF on the first one, MDF
on the next.  Very flat and smooth.  I used a double thickness of 3/4"
pieces glued together with contact cement, then I glued on a laminate top
(also with contact cement) to give it longevity.  If you go with a laminate
top (I think it is 1/16", available at your finer home stores ;-]) I'd
recommend a downcut spiral bit to avoid chipping the laminate.

I made the top and applied the laminate before cutting in the miter slot (or
T-tracks).  Worked well, though I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.
After you get the laminate cut, I'd switch to a straight or upcut bit so you
can take a little bigger bite.  Probably don't have to, but.....

Good luck,
William R. Monroe

>I have a new router table that I need to make larger. I am debating between
>using plywood or MDF for the extensions. I also need to install T-Tracks
for >the first time. Anyone with experience with these router table
modifications >have any experience to share? Thanks.