bass string recommendations

Bec and John Silva bjsilva001 at comcast.net
Fri May 19 08:59:50 MDT 2006

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for bass string manufacturers who
are especially good at making "clean" bichords in the high bass of
shorter pianos (6' or less).

I had recently ordered some strings from Mapes and they were so
impossible to get a clean tuning I sent back the strings I didn't
install (and probably annoyed them doing so!) This may not be
representative of Mapes' work, but I didn't want to risk trying more
of their strings.

I emailed Arledge, who I've ordered strings for the low bass and they
were excellent, and they would not give any assurance regarding the
"cleanness" of the bichords (I am sure there are various reasons for
this).

The original strings on this piano were very clean, so I know it's
possible. I've ordered from GC and their strings were very good but
Danny said he only liked to make an entire set, which I don't need.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

- John