How To Choose an ETD was ... something else

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Sun May 21 14:27:12 MDT 2006

Ok, time to chip in.

I'm all for aural tuning specially for students. This is the way I
learned (no temperament strip) and it was tough but worthwile. Now,
there is another aspect that wasn't adressed. First, I feel that what
make the BIG difference between an experienced tuner and a beginner is
the ability to predict and feel the way the pins will respond. Second,
to me, the unison is still the most important interval in piano tuning.

This being said, I feel there comes a time in a student's learning curve
where the student has to tune as many pianos as possible to get the feel
for the pins and get his stability. I think this is where an ETD come in
handy. The user can focus more on unisons and stability and not worry or
take so much time on octave and temperament tests. For example, if I was
to hire a student and use him/her, I would recommend they use and ETD so
they could tune more pianos and get experience in pin setting faster.
But, I would still do some work without the ETD at least a full day a
week. This way, they could be productive (specially in a school
situation) and still learn at the same time.

But, this is just me...and my french canadian mind working <G>

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC