How To Choose an ETD was ... something else

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 21:54:21 MDT 2006

Marcel, John, David,

I agree with much of what you are saying about the
need for the use of aural tuning methods. Is the
question, "Which method produces the best tunings?"
or "Which method produces the best tunings for the
most tuners?"  or "Which method teaches you the most?"
 or ....   "What is best for me?"  Of course this has
been discussed heavily for years.

There have been some formal comparison tests in the
past between aural and ETD.  I think it was carried
out by Jim Coleman and Virgil Smith.  Did that reveal
a slight edge for the aural method?  But, that's just
between those two people if so.

It sounds like David is saying aural is the best and
yet you said the ETD shows the ideal -
"If the machine is actually used as a teaching
tool---to SHOW somebody visually how close or far they
are from ideal, and let their body note that
info---then  I say what an incredible tool; what an
ear and perception enhancer."

The combination of aural practice, checking against
ETD and studying good tuning material such as On Pitch
by Rick Baldassin can be a great help.  It's too bad
that so much of our experience is gained "solo"
without the frequent evaluation and input of a
experienced friend or mentor.

For me, I improved my aural tuning skills while using
the SAT II.  I was able to pass the RPT tuning exam
aurally with a score just one point shy of CTE level.
Maybe I would have done even better if I had done more
aural and less etd during my first couple of years
tuning.

Bob Hull

=== message truncated ===