Why I'm leaving this site

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Tue May 23 06:31:36 MDT 2006

Brad,
I feel your pain. Occasionally things get way out of control (presidential
election politics, discussion of religion, cyber-personal attacks, etc.) but
most of the average excess bandwidth is well intentioned. Yes, sometimes one
of us (I've done it several times) steps up on their virtual soapbox and
begs/asks/screams for us all to think a bit more carefully about what we
post. A bit more focus *can* help this forum, and sometimes that's the way
this place is. On the other hand, some of us see this as a virtual coffee
shop where we pass the time conversing with fellow technicians (and
correcting others' spelling, posting jokes, etc.) between appointments or
waiting for glue to dry.
So it goes! While the site won't be totally redesigned anytime soon, there
are ways to reduce the clutter. You can choose to read posts in the archive
rather than by individual posts. Another approach is what I did recently; I
got a Google gmail account, and chose to get the mail  via my web browser.
Gmail automatically sorts the posts by topic -- it works for me, you  might
consider giving it a shot.
Patrick Draine