PianoWorld format - was RE: Why I'm leaving this site

LarryinAtlanta at aol.com LarryinAtlanta at aol.com
Tue May 23 09:47:42 MDT 2006

In a message dated 5/23/2006 10:26:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

I just looked at it. There are 57 pages of thread topic
listings. I'm wondering how this is a time saver??? There's
apparently something I've missed.
Ron N
Let me give you all some insight into alternatives to posting here. I'll try
to be as fair and balanced as possible, so you can see the pros and cons.

Here, it comes in your email, so your mailbox is stuffed when you come home.
You have to do a lot of deleting of things that you don't think will interest
you, and going back to reread things gets a little tricky and time consuming.
PianoWorld's format allows it to stay available for reading over and over,
keeps all the responses to a given topic in an organized order. Where PianoWorld
and other similar options fail you is in security of the material, and
searching through the material later on. On internet based sites such as PianoWorld,
should the owner of the site choose to take his cookies and go home, all your
material will be gone. He owns it once you post it, and is under no obligation
to keep it available. So, internet based sites offer convenience, unclutters
your mailbox, and organizes topics in a very readable manner - all things you
lack with your current setup. On the other hand, your current setup protects
your information, and internet based sites can't be relied upon to do that.

Another problem with PianoWorld is politics. Your discussions will be
interrupted and taken off course by nontechnician novice consumers who insist upon
having their views given equal footing with your's, and highjacked by salesmen
trying to steer the conversation toward their particular brands. You will find
what began as an interesting and informative discussion deteriorate into
arguments with know-it-all consumers who were "told by the head klaviermeister at
Bechendorthner that tuning pins must be screwed in from the bottom up, and he
knows more than you do, so there...." and salesmen claiming to be technicians
telling you that Samwreck pianos are better than Steinwreck pianos
because......". They will get away with it for three reasons: the owner doesn't actively
moderate the forum, he wouldn't know how to anyway, and members who pay are
never taken to task for the things they do.

About 2 years ago several members left PianoWorld for these very reasons,
many of them very good technicians. It is, in my opinion, a case of the inmates
running the nuthouse. Those of us who left include technicians as well as
several manufacturer's service department heads. We have built a forum similar to
PianoWorld, but with several significant differences. 1, the technician's
forum, as well as the piano forum, are both moderated by technicians. 2, consumers
who want to post in the technician's forum are kept on a leash - they can ask
questions, they can make comments, but they are not allowed to influence the
discussions with novice input, or argue with those who know what they are
talking about. 3, our membership has several industry people from the
manufacturer's level involved, with several more wanting to join, but waiting to make sure
it isn't going to become a circus the way PianoWorld has become.

We actively work at keeping the information accurate and the discussions on
topic. It's just beginning to build, but you are all invited to join in if
you'd like a place similar to PianoWorld in format but without all the clutter of
egos, politics, and salesmen. If you'd like to join us, here's the link:

http://www.armleg.com/forum/index.php?mforum=pianosinc

Lest anyone think I'm merely interested in "plugging my site", let me go on
record as saying that you should most definitely not make my site or any other
website your main source. You should keep the format you have here alive,
because it is the only place your information is certain to be safe in the future.