What would you do? Ethical questions.

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Tue May 23 22:33:48 MDT 2006

 Thanks to everyone for offering their input.  Three key points keep popping up here:

1. Educate
2. Don't take it personally
3. Let it go

Points two and three are hard for me, but I'm getting better at them.

I really try to educate at every opportunity, especially to customers with new pianos.  I always hand out fliers and explain to them what they need to know.  But people forget quickly, and you can only educate people who are willing to listen or read.

Another factor:  sometimes it's a battle of what the tech says versus what they were told by a salesperson trying to close a deal.  "You'll only have to get it tuned once a year, if that!"  People believe what they want, and that often includes belief in whatever costs them the least amount of money.

The follow up:  turns out, the lady called the store right after speaking with me, and the store owner gave her the name of another tuner.  He agreed to help the client with the cost of a tuning.  No doubt, she specified that it should be anyone but me....but after a day to reflect on it, I'm glad to not have the headache of a client like that!

You win some, you lose some.

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560