Back and (so) forth

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 24 21:35:44 MDT 2006

> When tuning big uprights, I have the option of sitting (where my
> arthritic shoulders get really sore) or standing (where my back starts
> barking at me from the kidney areas). I usually alternate positions to
> even out the pain. When standing, the "Extenda-Hand®" devices, i.e.
> homemade thumpers/wangers, do help but it's still an awkward lean-in.
>
> Has anyone tried using those back support wraps that are sold in drug
> stores, or the commercial "lifting belts" the guys and gals at Home
> Depot, for example, wear?

The prophylactic method of just declining to book the tuning
of old uprights works best for me. Otherwise, one's parts are
categorically, and inescapably, at risk. Not that they aren't
anyway, but we should be able to draw the line and limit the
number of swords we are compelled to throw ourselves on at
some point. At least I'd like to think so.

> I think tall tuners suffer more than others. O, Woe. Maybe I can become
> an avant garde poet, or use my rapier wit and become an on-guard poet,

Or a Right Guard poet, should your prose stink. One should
cover as many bases as possible, where possible...

> or more likely, get into the government's Witless Protection Program. On
> the other hand, SHORT people are generally the last to know it's raining
> and the first to drown. But that's another story. (Are flame suits
> necessary in the rain?)

Depends on the specific gravity of the insulation. >1.0
preferable.

> Okay, there was a serious question in the second paragraph. Thoughts?
>
> Alan Barnard

None. I never found a way to make tuning uprights comfortable,
feelings of buffing up a dessicated corpse aside. I'm a foot
too tall to stand, and a foot too short to sit. I can only
make my peace with the obvious in that some aspects of this
business just aren't something I'm suited for.

Sincerely - really,
Ron N