Curses! Coiled again!

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Fri May 26 20:16:54 MDT 2006

H E L P ! ! !

I could use some overnight counsel ... I have to go back to the piano from hell tomorrow. "Grand Piano" was the fallboard name, serial 1003 ... what junk ... anyway ...

Had 5 broken strings that some looney tooner had tied off in various ways without replacing, strings tangled in other strings (backscale), etc.

Inverted action spinsole. Dang. Had to remove it and had to remove the keys to get it out as the key-end sticker-holder-thingees extended way back ... and, of course, 5 damper heads at high bass.  Arrrgh.

Why broken strings. Didn't notice at first but when two more popped, I inspected further: Some Bozo -- probably the same Bozo had pounded in the pins so that the coils were cushed against the pin bushings!

1. Proper repair.  Forget it, strings couldn't take it, couldn't charge enough to make it worth my while.

2. Restring.  Let's be serious.

3. Tune the piano flat. But how flat? 25 Cents?

4. Use dremmel with small half-round burr to ream out a channel on one or both sides of the bushing, then dig the remains out with a little pick?  Never heard of doing that, but it sounded good when my desparate mind thought of it -- right after thinking about becoming a Wal-mart greeter.

I'd be very grateful for your advice, ideas and comments, dear list, and I will tell you the lesson I have learned from this: Make a well-lighted, very close inspection of coils, as well as pin torque, part of the initial inspection of any older piano before beginning (or quoting) any work to the piano.

Salem, Missouri