Curses! Coiled again!

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri May 26 20:33:15 MDT 2006

Alan,

ALL the strings were pounded in like this?? Or just a few?  If just a few,
pull them and repin w/oversize pins and new wire.

If it's all of them, presumably the pinblock is not so great, so yeah, good
question.  I guess when it comes down to it, I try to opt for suggesting a
repair that doesn't leave me looking as bad as that "Bozo" who was there
first.  If you chip out the bushings to give you space, and the tuning fails
quickly, I can see the client calling another tech, who will then look at
the previous tech's butchering..........

Make a good repair, charge appropriately.  If that is not an option, get
them to buy a new piano, tell them the truth, the piano is no more.

BTW, I think that guy visited here.  I had one last week (only one pin,
thankfully)  Where the pin was apparently pounded in first, then a new wire
installed.  Since there was no room between the becket and the plate, the
new coils were simply placed overlapping, criss-crossing every which way,
out toward the tip of the pin.  Remarkable work.

Best of Luck,
William R. Monroe

> Why broken strings. Didn't notice at first but when two more popped, I
inspected further: Some Bozo -- probably the same Bozo had pounded in the
pins so that the coils were cushed against the pin bushings!

> 1. Proper repair.  Forget it, strings couldn't take it, couldn't charge
enough to make it worth my while.

> 2. Restring.  Let's be serious.
>
> 3. Tune the piano flat. But how flat? 25 Cents?
>
> 4. Use dremmel with small half-round burr to ream out a channel on one or
both sides of the bushing, then dig the remains out with a little pick?
Never heard of doing that, but it sounded good when my desparate mind
thought of it -- right after thinking about becoming a Wal-mart greeter.